The LGBTQ community offers many resources for members of the community, especially in regards to job searching. While job searching, it is important to understand what resources are available and how to use them. Recently, legislation has been changing to put policies into place to protect the LGBT community in the workforce.
Some questions may arise such as:
Should I disclose my sexual orientation on my resume or in my interview?
How do I know if my employer is committed to equal practices?
How do I read the culture of the workplace?
How do I decide which employer will be right for me?
Searching for a job that will be a right fit for you and provide a welcoming environment doesn’t have to be difficult. So long as you are able to identify your career goals, and you utilize the resources provided to you, you should be successful in your job search. Below are some links to pages providing helpful information for LGBTQ candidates actively on the job search:
- This link gives some insight on harmful language and how to be sensitive to others.
- This article lays out some of the current workplace struggles for the LGBTQ community, and how to overcome them.
- This link goes to a page including infographics giving information on the LGBTQ community in the workplace.
- This website is useful for finding LGBTQ career resources, such as laws set in place and tips on navigating pronouns, etc.
- This link gives a list to many useful resources for members of the LGBTQ community.
- This website a search engine for LGBTQ job search.
- This website provides resources and also event information for LGBTQ job seekers.
- This link provides activities for education on the LGBTQ community.